Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Max dose of 100 insulin 14 lb dog? Puppy. 10, Levels around

Customer Question

Max dose of 100 insulin for a 14 lb dog?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Puppy. 10
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Puppy?
Customer: Levels around 500-600. At same vet. Hospital. One vet said resistance would come at her weight, 14 Units for 14 Lbs. Oher vet said resistance was 6.5 Units
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. John replied 9 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. Insulin resistance by definition occurs if they fail to have proper control at 2.2 U/kg, which would be 14 U for her size; or if they are at 1.5 U/kg (9.5 U for her) or higher and blood glucose doesn't get below 300. The 6.5 U would be too low to call it insulin resistance for her size. I hope this is the information you are looking for. If you have any other questions or concerns, please let me know.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 9 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. John