Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My dog isn't eatting but drinking tons of water. He had been

Customer Question

My dog isn't eatting but drinking tons of water. He had been circumcised years ago but his penis and hind right leg is swollen. What could be wrong
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: I'm about to look
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: We got him from the pound so I don't know his exact age. I think his 5 or six.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: I just noticed when I took him to the pee there was bldg after he finished.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: We had kobe at a friend's home for a while due too we couldn't keep him for awhile
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

The combination of such polydipsia (increased thirst) and what sounds like dependent edema in his penis and leg is strongly suggestive of either the nephrotic syndrome - advanced renal insufficiency in which too much albumin is being lost through Kobe's urine - or advanced hepatic failure in which a poorly functioning liver can't produce enough albumin. Albumin is a small protein needed to keep fluids inside vessels and out of "third spaces" such as you're seeing. These symptoms are dangerous and so his vet will want to perform a thorough physical exam including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests. You should know why he's symptomatic in that manner within 24 hours and, if so, his prognosis.

Please clarify "...there was bldg after he finished". Blood? If so, there might be a secondary bacterial urinary infection along with the nephrotic syndrome. Hematuria (blood in the urine) is also seen with uroliths (urinary stones) and cancers in the urinary tract. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
blood with urination

Thank you. The most common cause of hematuria is urinary tract infection and infection involving the kidneys can cause increased thirst. I believe that there's more going on, however, so please have Kobe attended to at your earliest convenience.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.