Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My dog is swing s head back and forth and he s sifting s

Customer Question

My dog is swing his head back and forth and he his sifting his weight from side to side. he can walk but does seem to want to. he seems to want to lay down but can't. he was fine when I went to bed but this morning , I found him doing this
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help your dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: his name is ***** ***** he is 12 1/2
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Toby?
Customer: for a while he has had a cough that is kind of like a cat coughing up a hairball is what is reminds me of
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Toby. His head swinging is called a postural repetitive myclonus - a type of tremor syndrome. This behavior is also seen with focal seizures and so it behooves Toby's vet to distinguish one from the other because tremors are treated differently that seizures. Either disorder arises from his brain and because generalist vets aren't usually equipped to deal with central nervous system disorders, Toby may be referred to a specialist veterinary neurologist (please see here:

Has Toby improved, remained the same, or worsened since you initially posted?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
about the same or maybe a little worse. he seems to want to lay down but can't. can't seem to even sit still. is that a sign of one or the other

Such persistent agitation is more indicative of partial seizures. Toby needs the attention of his vet if only to be heavily sedated or anesthetized. He'll exhaust himself and become hyperthermic if he remains as he is. Please continue our conversation if you wish.