Dr. Ellie
Dr. Ellie, Veterinarian
Experience:  emergency and critical care resident

My dog was given Vetergesic along with a acting antibiotic

Customer Question

My dog was given Vetergesic along with a long acting antibiotic and Zantac. He was given them about 8 hours ago. He was fine for a few hours and when he returned home he ate his food before being sick - that was around 5 hours ago. Since being sick he has become completely lethargic, won't eat his food which is very unusual and has lay in the same spot for a around 5 hours. He seems very spaced out. Is this normal?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Cooper. He's 6.5yrs. He's a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Cooper?
Customer: He was treated as he was showing symptoms of pancreatitis. His blood tests today confirmed pancreatitis. He was previously treated for this a couple of years ago and after treatment had no other symptoms until now.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Ellie replied 3 months ago.

HI there, I hope I can help.

The signs you describe may be a result of the Vetergesic (buprenorphine) given or the pancreatitis. Pancreatitis can run the range from very mild to severe requiring in hospital treatment. If he is not better in the next 4-6 hours, he should be evaluated by a veterinarian as by then the medication should have worn off. He may need additional treatment including an anti-nausea injection and/or fluids under the skin or IV.

If he is feeling better, you can feed a bland diet consisting of a lean protein source (boiled skinless chicken breast, low fat turkey breast boiled low fat hamburger, or low fat collage cheese) and rice or plain pasta (no butter or salt!!! that will make him feel worse). Feed this in a 2:1 ratio of protein to carbohydrate and start with a few table spoons every few hours, then work up to a normal meal at his normal feeding times if he tolerates this without vomiting. Withhold food for 4-6 hours before offering him anything and offer water first. If he does ok with this, then you can offer him food. If he vomits after eating or drinking or if he looks worse, you should take him to your local emergency clinic for evaluation. For dogs with recurrent pancreatitis, a low fat diet is recommended. There are several commercial options out there, so you can discuss this with your veterinarian to find the right one for Cooper. I hope this has answered your question, if I can be of further assistance please let me know. I am happy to clarify or answer additional questions about Cooper or pancreatitis.

If you are satisfied with this answer, please rate me to close the question and compensate me appropriately.

Thank you!!

Dr. Ellie