Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

I have a Cocker spaniel that has scabs all over body.. He

Customer Question

I have a Cocker spaniel that has scabs all over body.. He also has a darkened dry spot in his groun area where he constantly licks. I just started coconut oil tx yesterday. We took him to the vet a few months ago with no new orders.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cocker spaniel's name and age?
Customer: Jack and he is 6 yrs old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jack?
Customer: That's it as far as I know. He was given meds for his ears that we use a couple of times a week. No change in food. However I have started to intergrate blue buffalo into his diet to change him slowly from beneful..
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: We take him to the groomers monthly.. I may give him a bath maybe every 4-6 weeks with a oatmeal shampoo. I was told that too much washing mAy dry him out?
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) What medications have been tried for Jack? Be as specific as you can.
2) Does he have chronic ear issues?
3) Are you seeing itching or discomfort with his skin?
4) Any pics to share of the scabs?
5) Have any medicated baths been tried?
6) Have you been referred to a dermatologist yet?