PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

My 4 month old, My 4 month old Shih Tzu is throwing up, she

Customer Question

my 4 month old
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?
Customer: My 4 month old Shih Tzu is throwing up, she seems active but cannot hold down her food.
JA: Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: Not to my knowledge,
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Coco
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Coco?
Customer: No, I just had her to the regular vet yesterday, all her vitals were fine, the throwing up started about 3am this morning, she ate her breakfast but threw it up, it's like a white thick vial
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) Were any vaccines administered yesterday?
2) Any changes in her food? New treats? Human food?
3) When did you acquire her?
4) How many veterinary visits has she had in your care?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The vet gave her some baby food yesterday, she had her regular kibbles and I finished off the baby food this am I have had her almost a month she has seen the vet 2 times, no shots yesterday.

Anytime a young dog begins having any vomiting, diarrhea, etc. we must always be concerned about the risk of parvo, distemper, etc. This should be kept in the back of your mind in case she does not stop vomiting. At that point, she will need to be rechecked and injectable meds given, after diagnostics have shown that she has no illnesses such as these.

There are a few things that can be done at home to help make a pet with a stomach upset feel better. The first thing is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can buy the brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful.

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer more pureed chicken or chicken and rice baby food or a bland diet. To make this the bland diet, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid more nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen.

Again, if this does not result in the improvements you’re wanting, it will be necessary to have your companion examined by a veterinarian and injectable medications for nausea administered. I’m particularly a big fan of Cerenia for vomiting as it tends to work quickly, does a great job and works for a full 24 hours.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.

Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

Hi, JACustomer. Checking in. How are things with your companion going?