Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My mini schnauzer had a litter on the 30 th of June. We

Customer Question

My mini schnauzer had a litter on the 30 th of June . We docked the tails at 2 days olds at by someone who had done this before yet the pups ate15 days old and tails haven't fallen off . I went out of town for 5 days I got home went straight to my babies with eyes barely open and one of pups tails was so fat (swollen) the tie has slipped further down it must be in pain. What do I do please help !! I don't know why others in the family noticed this .
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 months ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about your puppies.

I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. So the tails were not actually docked (that means applying anesthetic, cutting the tails, and closing the open wound with suture or surgical glue) but instead just rubber bands were put on the tails? This is not generally accepted as a good way to dock tails or treat young puppies; the pain goes on for days until the tails fall off and the wounds heal.

The rubber bands should be removed if they are still on. The tails should probably be cut off after a local anesthetic has been applied and after the area under the rubber bands have been cleaned up. If the area appears to be infected, they may need antibiotics. It sounds like these bands were put on too loose to actually cause the tails to fall off, but just tight enough to cause pain, swelling, and possibly infection.

The best thing would be to take these puppies to a veterinarian to be treated. There is no over the counter pain medication safe to give puppies this young; they would need pain medication and antibiotics from a veterinarian.

I am so sorry these poor puppies have had to suffer and that you are so worried. Get the bands off, clean up the area where the bands were, and if they look infected or if they puppies are not active and nursing, take them to your veterinarian.