Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

At around 11pm, she got up from her pillow and couldn't

Customer Question

At around 11pm, she got up from her pillow and couldn't walk. Her back was beetled. She stood completely still, spine curved in a banana curve, head to tail. She was shaking. I brought her on the bed, praying it was some kind of stomach ache and held her till the shaking stopped and she seemed to fall asleep. She woke up around 315. Moaned when she changed position and tried again to stand and walk but just stood stick-still in the same beetled, curved position. I brought her outside and sat her on the lawn in case she needed to pee. Nothing. Brought her in. She walked a few steps and then lay down on her pillow. She had been absolutely fine earlier today.
The guys did spray the lawn when I was away for dinner and she went out on it. I am including them in this email in case there was something dangerous in the spray, I need to know the ingredients.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Carrie.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Carrie?
Customer: 11 years old. Healthy female miniature poodle
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Can she move her back legs on her own? Does she stand on the correctly (or on the tops of her paws)?

Does her belly feel tense, sore, distended or hard?

Any changes to her breathing or do her gums look paler then usual?

Any appetite loss, retching, gagging, lip licking or vomiting?

Could she have eaten something she should not have (ie bones, toys, rocks, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Standing on her own, can walk a short way. Beetled. Head to tail curve. Appetite ok today. Gums not pale. Collapsed on her pillow. No appetite loss retching. Hard to tell re belly. Guys sprayed lawn today.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Thank you,

Did you mean lots of retching?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No. No appetite loss today or retching tonight
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Thank you again,

Based on what you have told me, she sounds painful and hunched in her abdomen. If she ate some of the grass with this mystery spray that could cause what we are seeing. And without knowing what it was, we just don't know how much damage it could do. Otherwise, we'd have to be wary of pancreatitis, severe gastroenteritis, stomach ulcers, gut traumatizing foreign bodies or plants, or possible gut twists (usually they will have pale gums or bloating).

With this in mind and how sore she is, it would be ideal to have her seen by her vet now for injectable gut safe pain relief. That way they can get her comfortable as they determine which issue is present and needs to be addressed.

If there is any delay in having her seen, you could at least to try to soothe her stomach to reduce the pain of some of these conditions. To do so, you can consider treating her with an antacid. Common pet safe OTC ones we can use include Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do check with her vet before use if she has any known health issues or is on any medications you didn’t mention.

Once that has had time to absorb and she is steadier on her stomach, you can consider starting her on a light/easily digestible diet. Start with a small volume (a spoonful). Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. When you offer that spoonful, give her 30 minutes to settle. If she keeps the food down, you can give a bit more and so on. As her stomach stabilizes, you can offer more. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset (as well as coat the stomach a bit from those caustic and traumatic concerns). As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise that the diet be continued until her signs are settled, and that they are then slowly weaned back to their normal diet.

Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger the signs we are seeing. Therefore, we need to tread with care. Since she is demonstrating overt pain, we'd be best to have her seen now since there are no safe OTC pain relief options for a case like this. Otherwise, you can try the above while monitoring closely. Though if she doesn't settle within a few hours, we'd want to get her vet involved. They can assess her hydration, rmake sure there is nothing in her stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, her vet can treat her with injectable pain relief +/- anti-nausea medication or antibiotics to settle her stomach, and get her back feeling like herself.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

nekovet