Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog is taking humiilin, She is at 21 units twice a day,

Customer Question

My dog is taking humiilin
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your dog?
Customer: She is at 21 units twice a day
JA: Where does your dog seem to hurt?
Customer: Ketones are negative but sugar is 1000+
JA: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: She has been taking this for five months. She is having accidents still every night.
JA: Is your dog eating normally?
Customer: Twice a day at shoe time
JA: Is your dog having trouble peeing or pooing?
Customer: She leaks urine at time everywhere
JA: How is your dog behaving differently?
Customer: Humulin doesn't seem to be working we starting out at nine units and now at 21 and sugar is still way high
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: No she isn't acting different. Ladies is her name
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Ladies?
Customer: Doesn't seem to be uti. Her urine isn't stinky.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

How old is she?

When was the last time her vet checked her blood sugar? Is she considered stable on this dose?

Has her urine been tested at all?

Has she been drinking more again?

When she leaks, does it tend to be when she is sleeping or all the time?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
She is nine. I talk to the vet monthly on the phone. She gets her urine tested every morning. At night she has been leaking. Even yesterday though she didn't whine she just peed all over the floor. No matter how many units of insulin we give her it's not bringing down the sugar. I am at my wits end.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Thank you,

First, I do want to note that we can often see bladder infections in diabetic dogs without odor. This is because their urine is abnormally dilute yet high in sugar and thus very prone to bacterial colonization even without those expected changes. So, if the urine has only been checked for glucose/ketones; then it would be ideal to collect a sample for analysis of any infection. If that is clear and there are no kidney issues, then we'd be suspicious that her leaking is either due to her unstable diabetes or since it is night leakage especially, related to weakening of the urinary sphincter. In regards ***** ***** latter, if confirmed by her vet, there are medications that can tighten the sphincter to halt the leak. So, ruling these out step by step would be our best plan of attack for her urine signs.

Otherwise, just since you noted struggles in getting her diabetes stable, do speak to her vet about whether there is an underlying reason for the diabetes. Most often we will see challenging diabetic cases that are actually secondary to Cushing's disease (an overproduction of steroid hormone). As well, we can see unstable diabetes be triggered by pancreatic abscesses/cancer/inflammation. So, if they haven't already, an ultrasound may be indicated. And if any of these are present, then addressing them first can help us get the diabetes under control (or even settled). So, if she is unstable and just isn't responding to the insulin at any dose, then we need to look for those primary issues causing a secondary diabetes and get them addressed first.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )