Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.

My Dog has a red rash on her belly and her vagina is red.

Customer Question

My Dog has a red rash on her belly and her vagina is red . What is this. My vet disentangle know
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Lily 11 years old.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lily?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 3 months ago.

Hi there - I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that Lily has a rash - I will do my best to help. There will be a delay of 5-10 minutes while I type out some thoughts for you. You can reply with further info, questions, or pictures at any time while you're waiting.

~Dr. Sara

Expert:  Doc Sara replied 3 months ago.

Thanks for your patience! The most common reason for a dog to develop a rash on the belly would be an allergy with a possible secondary bacterial infection. When a dog is having an allergic reaction to something, they can get a pink rash or hives. Allergic reactions also predispose dogs to overgrowth of the bacteria that normally live on their skin. We call this a pyoderma. With a pyoderma, we usually see crusting (often in a circular pattern) and/or pimples filled with purulent material.

Normal moisture trapped in the skin folds around the vulva can cause redness all by itself or it can perpetuate an allergic dermatitis. In cases where it's just a moisture issue, we can help them out a lot by using hypoallergenic baby wipes a couple of times a day to keep the vulvar area clean.

If she's licking or scratching enough to bother her, then I'd suggest having her examined by your veterinarian so that they can prescribe appropriate treatment. This would include antibiotics if the vet feels that there is a bacterial infection present and/or a steroid or other anti-itch medication if there's evidence of an allergic reaction or she's quite itchy.

Aside from allergies, hormonal imbalances like a low thyroid hormone or cushing's disease can also predispose a dog to having skin issues. This is far less common than allergy issues, but still possible.

Please let me know what questions I can handle for you.
~Dr. Sara

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions please simply reply with your follow up questions. I would be happy to continue chatting. If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I don't want to be charged monthly for this just the four dollars I have been charged. Yes this was helpful. I will make an appointment with my vet. Lily and I thank you.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Once again. We thank you. Have a good night.
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 3 months ago.

Please contact customer service about cancelling your membership. Experts only have access to the relevant medical information - never your billing or account info. Also, since you feel that I've been helpful, I would really appreciate it if you could take a moment to give me a favorable rating. This is the only way in which the experts like myself get compensated for our time. We can still continue to chat afterward and I'd be happy to address follow up concerns at any point.

~Dr. Sara

Expert:  Doc Sara replied 3 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Doc Sara