Joan
Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 35+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues
5071285

My dog just got groomed and had s anal glands expressed. He

Customer Question

My dog just got groomed and had his anal glands expressed. He seems to be in a lot of pain and discomfort. He's scooting a lot, hasn't pooped since we got home from the groomers, and yelps and screams a lot. Is there anything that can be done for his discomfort? He's digging a lot also.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Teddy, 2 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Teddy?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Joan replied 4 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years.

The anal glands when expressed need to be done internally and externally. If the groomer did not do them properly is could cause discomfort. For this issue you can try some warm compresses on the anal area, followed by using some Neosporin. There may also be a razor burn if the groomer got to close. To make the dog more comfortable, I would give 1 mg of plain benedry per pound of body weight to see if it stops the digging and relaxes the dog. I would use a teaspoon full of canned pure Pumpkin, not pie filling to help regulate the stools as well as aiding the anal glands with the passing of stool.

I would see the Vet today and have him take a look at the anal glands to make sure all were done correctly or if they need to be done internally.

Joan