PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My 14 week German shepherd has just swallowed a spare rib

Customer Question

My 14 week German shepherd has just swallowed a spare rib bone cooked whole. Didn't chew it. What should I do. I am puppy walking for police so feel real bad that she got hold of it.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Opal
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Opal?
Customer: No I don't think so. She does occasionally swallow pebbles but she has passed them in her stools
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 5 months ago.

Puppies tend to get into things like this and if she occasionally swallows pebbles and items like this, I'm sure this will come as no surprise to the police who own her.

Unfortunately, bones can cause some major issues. Typically the smaller the better as they may pass through without any medical concerns. The larger, the higher the risk will be that she could have some major medical repercussions from this ingestion. I would reach out to the police and let them now *immediately* to determine they'd like to do. Some owners want to watch, others prefer to get a vet involved promptly, etc.

In any case, she ultimately needs to be monitored around the clock for changes. Any vomiting, diarrhea, intestinal cramping, difficulty stooling, etc. and she's going to need to be seen promptly by a veterinarian.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.

Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 4 months ago.

Checking in. How are things going for you and your companion?