PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

I have a mini pincher shes only 2yrs as of yesterday

Customer Question

Hi i have a mini pincher shes only 2yrs as of yesterday afternoon she dont want to eat she had diarreah all night and right now we just notice a little blood in her diarreah
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Ruby
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Ruby?
Customer: No that's all she's still walking and playing but not eating
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) What does Ruby normally eat?
2) Any table scraps?
3) Any chance she could have eaten something she shouldn't have eaten like a toy?
4) Is she vomiting?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She usually eats dry food, honestly she's so quick b she could of eating something in the park and no vomiting

The blood in the stool is a very concerning symptom. Ideally, she should be checked by a vet and started on antibiotics since there is blood in her stool and she doesn't feel well enough to eat. Anti-nausea medications may also be needed to give her back her appetite.

That said, I can give you some things to try at home to help her. If she does not make improvements or she worsens, you will have no choice but to have her seen by your vet.

To start, an antacid to help settle her stomach and a bland diet to help calm her GI tract. Although she hasn't started vomiting yet, we want to be sure that it doesn't happen either.

Administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can buy the brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful.

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid more nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.

Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

Checking in. How are things going for you and your companion?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?