Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator

My shiba inu was fine all day until the dog tried to jump on

Customer Question

My shiba inu was fine all day until the dog tried to jump on the bed, when he did the dog screamed in pain from his back left side and limped for 10 min and them walked away, I calmed him down and checked his paws nothing I trimmed his nails after to see if it was his nails , he was fine all day yesterday he even went out to play with my other dog and they ran no issues, this morning he went to jump on the bed and he wouldn't so I picked him up placed him on the bed he sat for a while jumped off no issue, then he went to jump back on to the bed and started to scream in pain again so I calmed him again but this time I guess a anal gland popped and the worst smell came from him , he walked off after no limping and has been laying down all morning. no did have lime and was treated four months ago. no other issues all blood work came back neg. he has been perfect until now.
JA: OK. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: he as no other issues until now the dog is sleeping since this mooring resting .
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you. Even though he tested okay for lyme it is something I might look into again as ticks bite all season long. That being said , generally when dogs do not want to jump up on something there is a disc issue in the spine and that you would not see without an x ray or myelogram. What happens is that the soft tissue that cushions the disc become hard and presses on the spinal cord and certain movements can cause pain. It may get worse over time so that he does not want to jump off of furniture or climb steps. This can happen in the spine (lower) or in the neck area. If it is in the neck area you may notice the dog does not look up at you by moving its neck when you call its name.

I would try giving an aspirin and see if that helps with pain and it is an anti inflammatory so it may help with the tissue inside the disc.

Dogs are pretty stoic when it comes to pain so make sure that he gets strict rest and do not allow him to go up and down steps or go on furniture for a while. Give some time for healing along with the aspirin. IF it continues past two or three days you should have the dog examined and x rayed. A neurologist may also be needed. Some pain meds do not work for this so if this is the case then you should ask about steroids to reduce inflammation. It is likely a neurologist would try that if there is no relief from pain meds.

I am going to direct you to a site on IVDD that explains what is happening and to a link for aspirin dosing. Use aspirin and not Ibuprofen or Tylenol products. Let your vet know if you have used aspirin as some pain relievers have to wait until the aspirin leaves the body.

disc issue

Aspirin dosing and precautions. should not be used past two days or it can cause ulcers