PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

My dog I believe has foxtails between s toes and they have

Customer Question

My dog I believe has foxtails between his toes and they have created an abscess can I do a home remedy to fix the issue
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Cesar. 11. He's a Shepherd Chow mix
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Cesar?
Customer: No he's been a really healthy dog
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 3 months ago.

Hi, JACustomer.

Foxtails can certainly cause abscesses for dogs once they've burrowed into the skin. To help to combat the infection, you can soak the feet twice daily in a solution of warm water and hibiclens. You can find this at most stores with a pharmacy section:

You'll want to do this a few times each day. You can also use neosporin on any open wounds the foxtails may have caused. If licking is an issue, make sure to use an e-collar to prevent Cesar from causing more problems with his feet. If you don't have one, you can purchase or even make one at home. Directions are here:

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.

Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

Checking in. How are things going for you and your companion?

Hi, JACustomer. Checking in. How are things with your companion going?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?