Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

My golden has this blackish drool that cakes on around s

Customer Question

My golden has this blackish drool that cakes on around his mouth. I don't see anything and am wondering what it could be. Can' take him to vet as can't get him in the car. Bad hips.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Golden Retriever, 12 yrs.
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do with the drooling. What is the golden retriever's name?
Customer: Wilson
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Wilson?
Customer: He has bad hips. I have had him checked, they say it's not dysplasia, but he does take a pain pill everyday.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 4 months ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question. Just like an in person consult, I have some questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible.....

When was the last time Wilson saw his vet?

Is Wilson having any problems eating/drinking?

Can you see inside his mouth and see if there's any swelling or redness?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Wilson last saw the vet a year ago. He is eating and drinking fine. No signs of swelling, gums and teeth look good. Just this black sticky goo.
Expert:  Lisa replied 4 months ago.

Great. Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

Usually when we see this kind of black, sticky goo on the mouth of a dog, it's indicitive of a dental infection brewing.

The problem can often be under the gumline so it may not be visible to you when you look in his mouth.

Since you do have a vet, you may want to give them a call. They are acquainted with Wilson and know that he has complex medical issues that keep you from taking him to the vet, so they may be willing to send out some antibiotics to help him get over this before it gets worse without making you bring him in.

I hope he's feeling better soon!

Expert:  Lisa replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Lisa