Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

Her stomach is very tight, Lola and she is 3, I 't think so,

Customer Question

Her stomach is very tight
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Lola and she is 3
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lola?
Customer: I don't think so
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Lola. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Is Lola spayed?

Is she acting sick at all: not eating, vomiting?

If you check her gums, are they pink in color or pale?

Thanks for the additional information! Since I can't see and examine her, the more I know about her the more I can help.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
She is not spayed. She isn't acting particularly sick, but she normally is with me 24 hours a day... Literally. Now she is very stand offish, but still sweet. Her gums look okay. I am worried to death. She is very little, about 3 pounds.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

I hate to ask the obvious; could she be pregnant?

Can you post a picture of her swollen stomach?

If her gums are pink that is a good sign, as is a good appetite and no vomiting. She could be distended with gas, and that could make her uncomforatable.

There is a condition seen in dogs that are not spayed, an infection called a pyometra that could enlarge her uterus and make her stomach look swollen. Usually it happens when a dog is older, not just 3 years.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I will upload a photo. Additionally, she is almost scavenging for things to eat that aren't food. Particularly toilet paper, which she has never done.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks
Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

Her nipples are prominent, has she had puppies or has she recently been in heat?

This could be a false pregnancy, if she was in heat about 2 months ago. Dogs may have a false pregnancy 9 weeks after being in heat and will gain weight, act hungrier, even make milk and treat toys or socks as if they were puppies. This resolves on its own after a couple of weeks.

If she was in heat 8 or 9 weeks ago, this may be what is going on. Please let me know how she is doing and what other questions I can answer. Kindly consider rating my answer if this was helpful, so the website knows I am assisting you!

Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

How is Lola doing? I did not hear back from you!