Rebekah Kane
Rebekah Kane, Veterinarian
Experience:  small animal veterinarian

Shih tzu is caked with seeds all over her head neck and

Customer Question

shih tzu is caked with weed seeds all over her head neck and face
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Bitsy
JA: How old is Bitis?
Customer: 10
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bitis?
Customer: "Bitsy
JA: Huh?
Customer: she is no longer cooperating with our attempts to trim the matts out
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebekah Kane replied 3 months ago.

Hi there, I am Dr. Kane, and I will do my best to assist you with Bitsy today. It sounds like she got into some grass awns, also known as "fox tails" they look like this?

The problem with foxtails is that they not only get stuck in the fur and cause matting, but they can embed themselves in all parts of the body (into the skin, between the toes, in the ear canals, into the eyes, mouth, up the nose, into the vagina, and sometimes they even can penetrate into the inside of the body (chest or abdomen). Having practiced in Southern California for several years- I have seen all of the above scenarios. They can cause a lot of damage.

It would be best to have Bitsy taken to her veterinarian for a shave down, and they can examine her ears, mouth, between her toes. If there are some embedded into the skin, she may need a course of antibiotics to clear up infection. Sometimes pets need to be sedated for this procedure, especially if they become distressed during the shaving and removal of matted fur. I hope this has you have any other questions for me at this time?

I need to sign out for the night, but will check back in tomorrow if you have any further questions. I hope Bitsy feels better soon!

Hi, how is Bitsy doing today?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Got her in to the groomer. Shaved her nekkid. ;) She seems to be in good spirits. I think it was harder on me. :)

LOL ;) So no wounds in her skin or foxtails found lodged into private crevices?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Guess not :)

That's good :)