Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 35+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues

Thursday day my 11.5lb Maltipoo vomited a couple times.

Customer Question

JA: Hello. What seems to be the problem?
Customer: Thursday day my 11.5lb Maltipoo vomited a couple times. Thursday night she had some diaharrea. Friday night I gave her a little less than 1mg of Generic Imodium AD tablet. She stopped vomiting about 24hrs from when she began. So NO vomiting in the past 24hrs. Friday/Saturday The diahereas was dark and tarry. Yesterday gave her some congee type rice and some chicken broth. Her demeanor is pretty normal (friendly, interested, energetic). Stool is now regular brown and liquid. She has had a total of two 2mg Imodium AD pills since Friday
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: The only thing was perhaps she did not agree with a little bit of chicken on Thursday morning....lots of messes Friday
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Coop...was considering trying baby food...she's not showing signs of dehydration (her gums are normal)
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: 8yrs old
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Joan replied 3 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years.

Are her stools still loose?

Is she eating well and drinking?

How is her demeanor is she active?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Still friendly, interested. Drinking water fine. She had some rice late Friday and Saturday/ Saturday had some chicken broth with a little rice but not interested in food today--was considering trying some baby food. Yes, stool is still loose BUT no longer dark/tarry. Just now is brown
Expert:  Joan replied 3 months ago.

Thank-you. You can give her a 1/4 of a 10mg Pepcid AC to see if it settles her stomach where she feels more like eating. You can mix some Pedialyte in with her water for hydration. as far as baby food, yes she can have some chicken baby food as long as it is free of onion and Garlic. Those are not good for her. The other option is to boil some ground beef or chicken breast 1 part to 3 parts white rice and feed in small increments. you can also add a teaspoon full of plain canned pumpkin , not pie filling into her food. This is a high fiber to aid with her stool. It works very well. Please have her seen hands on by the Vet. She is a tiny girl and best to have her checked out. If she is lethargic please rub a little karo syrup or pancake syrup on her gums to balance glucose levels.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
the color of the stool doesn't matter/is not significant?
Expert:  Joan replied 3 months ago.

As long as the stools have cleared up and are not black tarry stool or blood in the stool and back to a normal color even if loose, we can continue with my suggestions. If it does not clear, the a Vet visit sooner will be needed.