How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask PitRottMommy Your Own Question
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 7243
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164
Type Your Dog Question Here...
PitRottMommy is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My shitzu ate a hyacinth bulb and has vomited up what looks

Customer Question

My shitzu ate a hyacinth bulb and has vomited up what looks like a the parts of the bulb. What should I do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Puggy and he is 3 years old.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Piggy?
Customer: He just lost his cat brother on Friday, we had the cat for 19 years so he is all he ever knew and I thought he was just really sad until he started throwing up and I saw what was in his vomit.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 11 months ago.

Hi, JACustomer.

Unfortunately, Hyacinth bulbs are toxic to dogs and the more the pet ingested the worse the toxicity. Typical signs include profuse drooling, vomiting, or even diarrhea, depending on the amount consumed. With larger ingestions, more severe symptoms such as an increase in heart rate, changes in respiration, and difficulty breathing may be seen.

I would recommend that you go to the ER today to have Puggy evaluated and treated. If caught early enough, you may only need to have symptomatic treatment for the vomiting done. However, if symptoms progress Puggy may well require hospitalization.

If you need help finding an ER that can see you today, let me know. Please post back your city, state and zip code and I'll get to work finding one.

More info http://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/poison/tulip/

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.

Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 11 months ago.

Checking in. How is your companion doing?