Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

Our 14-year-old maltese was diagnosed with a heart valve

Customer Question

Hi. Our 14-year-old maltese was diagnosed with a heart valve problem a few years ago and has been on medication. Three weeks ago she had a severe seizure, but has mostly recovered from it. We've noticed lately that her muscle mass has degenerated (you can easily feel her ribs and spine), and in the last couple of days her heartbeat is very fast and she has intermittent prolonged bouts of a hacking cough and gagging.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Leah.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Leah?
Customer: Not that I can think of. She spent the first four years of her life in a puppy mill and had 8 litters by the time she was rescued.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) What medications are being given?
2) Has she been boarded, groomed, at doggy daycare, etc?