Christi Belew
Christi Belew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Medical Director at Union Hill Animal Hospital

2.11 lb. chihuahua has opacity in stomach and left inguinal

Customer Question

2.11 lb. chihuahua has opacity in stomach and left inguinal hernia area. Recently at the beach. Feeding her Metamucil and baby food and yogurt. She vomited it up about an hour later. She seems to feel better. She peed, but no poop. Gave her about 10 ml of the Metamucil combination. How often should I feed her the combination?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Christi Belew replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I am happy to help you and Puck. I have a few questions to better assess the situation.

1. When she vomited, was it the metamucil/baby food/yogurt combo? Was there any sand in it?

2. Is she drinking water and keeping it down?

3. How is her energy level?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Mx of the Metamucil combo and slimy brown liquid. The sand is very fine and possibly felt gritty. She is now keeping it down. Her energy level is better. She wagged her tail, and walked around. They gave her an injection of saline under her skin, which is now gone. She still has her ribs flared, but less so. I gave her some more Metamucil combo, but not much, because she fought back.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She vomited again and it felt gritty, and was a light brown color. I did not see the Metamucil clumps. She peed but still no poop. I gave her some more. I guess it all rests on if she poops.

Has she begun to eat normal food for you?

Hi Joyce,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Puck. How is everything going?