Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

My dog is pregnant and is passing worms that look similar to

Customer Question

My dog is pregnant and is passing worms that look similar to grains of rice
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. We need to be extra careful with pregnancies, so we'll need to connect you with the Veterinarian ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: Not really
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 4 months ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question today. Just like an in person consult, I have a few questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible...

How many days pregnant is she?

How long have you been seeing the worms?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Been seeing worms for about a week, and she is about 4-5 weeks pregnant
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
We have caught her eating my cats litter box
Expert:  Lisa replied 4 months ago.

Great. Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

You can give your vet a call and have them dispense some Cestex or Interceptor Plus, or Iverhart Max. All of these are used to get rid of tapeworms and are safe to use in pregnant dogs.

Your vet may want to run a fecal sample, just to make sure it's tapeworms, but if it looks like rice, I'm sure that's what it is.

Don't buy anything over-the-counter as most of these aren't tested on pregnant bitches and may be dangerous to the pups.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Which of these works best for tape worms
Expert:  Lisa replied 4 months ago.

All of those are for tapeworms. But you'll need to get them from a vet...they're not available over-the-counter.

Expert:  Lisa replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Lisa