Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 4 pund yorkie ate an advil yesterday morning he vomited

Customer Question

My 4 pund yorkie ate an advil yesterday morning he vomited up .he held down his food the rest of the day but this mourning he vomited. What should i do
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Wilson and he is 2 yrs old he is acting like his normal seif
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Wilson?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Did he vomit the tablet?

What milligram was it? 200mg?

What did the vomit look like?

Any increase his his drinking?

Does his urine look watery?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It looked like he chewed it because there were pcs in his vomit. He vomited 5 times 3 looked like food color and i was advil color and 1 was clear it was 2 tablets from a package .he is thirsty but it wont stay downhis urine and poop look the same
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Thank you,

First, I am glad to hear that he did bring up multiple pieces of the tablet. Though with his signs, I am concerned he may have done so after absorbing some of what is quite a dog dangerous drug. In fact, even in a small dose can cause stomach upset like we are seeing but also the risk of stomach ulcers.

With this all in mind, if he cannot even keep water down, then we likely will need his local vet involved for injectable anti-vomiting medication to break this nausea cycle. And if we get them involved at this point, they can start gastroprotectants to prevent/limit ulcers and also check bloods or urine to make sure the kidneys are safe (though we’d hope they’d not be in distress since his urine hasn’t become dilute and he brought up so much of this).

Otherwise, if there is any delay in having him seen, we can try some home supportive care to try to settle his stomach. To start, if he hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest the stomach for a few hours first), you can consider treating with an OTC pet safe antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption and re-dose every 12 hours to reduce stomach acid pH and protect the stomach. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though again if you give this and he cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.

Once he is more settled, you can plan to try small frequent meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, or scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (garlic/onion free only) The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. And frequent meals will give his stomach acid something safe to chew on besides his stomach.

Overall, Advil is very dangerous for dogs and your lad is showing signs of mild to moderate toxicity. Therefore, we’d want to start the above now but if he cannot settle, then we’d want to have his local vet involved to use injectable treatment to settle this and limit the risk of long term harm.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello again,

How is everything going with your wee one?

Dr. B.