Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog has been in labor -4 hours. delivered one healthy pup

Customer Question

my dog has been in labor for 3-4 hours. delivered one healthy pup at the beginning but did not pass the placenta. now has green discharge
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Now in regards ***** ***** question, the placenta can be delayed in passing but my concern is that the green discharge may be one rupturing. And since there may be other pups (you have not listed her breed, so I cannot gauge if she is a breed that may only have one puppy) who's placenta is the compromised one, if she hasn't passed it or another pup withing 30 minutes of the most recent one, then you will want to have her seen urgently. If we have a pup in distress, we may need to intervene manually or consider a C-section. Hopefully, she has now passed the placenta since you posted, but just in case you are still in that situation I did want to send this wee reply on.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

nekovet