Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.

He is very dopey walking slowly with head and tail down, no

Customer Question

he is very dopey walking slowly with head and tail down
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: no wound
JA: The Veterinarian will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Gizmo he is 5
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Gizmo
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Gizmo?
Customer: when he is asleep he kicks his back legs
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

My fear for your sweet Gizmo is that he has suffered an injury to a disc in his neck or back. This is very common in some breeds because of their conformation. Since Gizmo does not have any digestive issues, this is the most likely cause for his pain that is causing his lethargy. Since this is deep within the vertebrae, he will not show pain when you touch or palpate these areas. This can happen when Gizmo jumps up or down on something or just moves the wrong way. The best thing you can do for now as long as Gizmo is eating, is to give him aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs. This will decrease the inflammation that is causing his pain and start to stabilize this disc. Do not allow him to jump on or off anything or even climb stairs to allow this disc to stabilize. It is best to have your vet examine sweet Gizmo to be sure that this is the case and that this treatment is appropriate.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****