Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

My dog 2 year old chessie gorged on a bag of dog food and

Customer Question

My dog 2 year old chessie gorged on a bag of dog food and threw it all up after. Her tummy now looks like a basketball and is very firm to touch. Drinking lots of water also. Will she be alright.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Daisy
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Daisy?
Customer: Well 2 weeks ago, she did the same thing w the same bag of food. She did not throw up the food the first time. I did not feed her for 48 hours, then fed her rice the third day and slowly got her back on track. She was fine then. But she threw up this time. My kid had left the bag where she could get to it.
JA: Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did Daisy eat anything unusual?
Customer: No just the iams dog food.
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Do I get an answer soon?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Now the vomiting isn’t actually a worry. It is often a sign we see when they overindulge as she has. So, if she brought some back up, then that is less for us to worry about. The only caveat would be if she kept vomiting and couldn’t keep anything down.

Now your approach from last time was fine and we’d want to repeat that but you need only starve for 24 hours and then introduce a ¼ of her diet the following day and wean back to her normal diet over 2 days. As well, you need to limit the water in the early stages of a food bloat with dry food. This is because the water will distend the kibble further and that can lead to problems (ie GDV, pain, etc). Usually we will give sips or ½ cup every hour in the first 12 hours. And if she appears nauseous, then you can use a light diet (ie cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free).

Finally if she does appear nauseous, you can also use an antacid. Common pet safe OTC ones we can use include Pepcid (More Info/Dose @, Zantac (More Info/Dose @, or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ Whichever you choose, we’d give this on an empty stomach to allow absorption. Of course, do check with her vet before use if she has any known health issues or is on any medications you didn’t mention. As well, if you try this and find her nausea too severe to keep it down, then that is usually a red flag that we need her vet to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication.

Overall, her vomiting just after isn’t a worry at all. Its actually beneficial (and we even induce vomiting if we catch them in the 1st 30 minutes after eating loads of kibble). So, we’d not be alarmed and just want to repeat what you did before with those few adjustments. Of course, any paling of her gums, elevation in her breathing, further distension, or pain; and we’d want to have her seen urgently by her vet.

Take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?