PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

She ate an entire bag of Chee-its and is now constipated.

Customer Question

She ate an entire bag of Chee-its and is now constipated. She is drinking and peeing ok. what will loosen her bowels?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Tips, 45 pound female mixed breed, Six years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tips?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 3 months ago.

Hi, JACustomer.

To loosen her bowels, you can give her 1tsp per 10# ***** body weight of mineral oil in food per day. At 45#, she can receive 4.5 tsp per day. This should soften her stool enough for the firm stool to pass. You may also want to put her on a higher fiber diet. You can add canned pumpkin (not pie filler) to her food, too. You should see improvements within 24 hours after starting this regimen although it can take a few days to pass.

If you see diarrhea begin, make sure to stop the mineral oil but you can continue the pumpkin.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.

Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.