PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

Dog threw up hard orange chunk...not toy related why? no,

Customer Question

dog threw up hard orange chunk...not toy related why?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: no
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Leo age 2
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Leo?
Customer: this is the second time this has happened
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 4 months ago.

JACustomer, thanks for your question. Do you have a picture of the chunk? How large is it? Is Leo still eating and drinking? When did it previously occur? Do you know where the orange chunk came from?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
How did you know Leo was a Rottie? He is drinking and eating...it occurred a month ago and I thought he had eaten a toy or picked something up during a walk.
I have the chunk it is hard rubber like...almost like a hard cheese rind and the size of a ping pong ball but not round-irregular shape.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the hard item looks the same and has the same consistency as the last time this happened...

I did not know that Leo was a Rottweiler. It's just coincidence.

If he's vomited this up twice, chances are that he's eaten it within the 24 hours prior to vomiting. That said, rubber pieces can stay in the gut for quite some time before being produced in the vomit so this could potentially be something that he ate a while back that's causing nausea and being produced now. It could be the final piece or there could be more. So long as he's eating and drinking, we wouldn't be too concerned about doing anything more than observing him for more issues.

If you are concerned about what this is/where it came from, it may be time to kennel Leo when you are unable to watch him simply because the risk is present that he could eat a chunk large enough to make it into his intestines and cause a blockage that would require surgery.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.

Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer

Checking in. How is it going with Leo?