Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My 7Week old Chihuahua puppy started having seizures today

Customer Question

My 7Week old Chihuahua puppy started having seizures today like one every 30 min yo an hour. She wont stop crying like she is in alot of pain. I cant afford the outrages vet bill just to have her looked at My heart aches for her because I dont know what to do please help me
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Bailey
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bailey?
Customer: Her father when he was about 12 weeks also suffered from seizures. I took him to 5 animal clinics and all 5 wanted to put him to sleep. I didnt give up I yook him to a 6th clinic and they put him on an IV and they kept him for about 4hrs plus they gave me their type of dogfood and sent me home with him and told me thats all we can do for him. Miraculously the next day after having like 10 seizures the day before he looked alot beyyer. Everyday after that I watched him and waited for him to have seizures and to this day 3yrs later he has never had another
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 5 months ago.

Hello. I'm sorry to hear about your dog.

The most likely cause here is low blood glucose (hypoglycemia). To help stop the seizures at home, you can give Karo syrup orally. I would give 1 teaspoon at a time every 5-10 minutes until they stop and she is up eating on her own.

Going forward, try to feed her 3-4 times daily until she's 3-4 months old and able to maintain her blood glucose more normally.

If she doesn't come out of the seizures within an hour, then you really should go to a vet to run bloodwork and confirm the hypoglycemia and treat more aggressively.