Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

Ate onion rings, Two of them one is 11 months and the other

Customer Question

Ate onion rings
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Two of them one is 11 months and the other is a 1 year Sonya and mia
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sonya?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 5 months ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** I'm glad that you know that onions are not good for dogs. How much does each of these girls weigh? Was this just a single regular sized onion ring?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It was a box probably about 25 in it one dog is 35lbs the other 80lbs I don't know if one ate all of it or both did

How long ago did this happen?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
25 minutes

Ok. The generally accepted number for onion toxicity is 5 gms of onion/kg of body weight to be toxic. How many grams were eaten and by which dog? That is the unknown. The safest thing to do would be to induce vomiting in both and see what comes up. It could detoxify the one that did get into them. The greasy onion rings of that volume could also cause pancreatitis in those that are more sensitive. Here is a link on inducing emesis.

http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/emergency-trauma-urgent-care/how-to-induce-vomiting-emesis-in-dogs

The 35 pound dog would have to eat 79 g of onion to get to that range. Onion toxicity causes lysis of red blood cells. It would typically show in a couple days as being weak and most likely having darker / to blood colored urine.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks i brought them to the vet in town on an emergency appt they induced the vomiting and it was Mia the 80lb one who ate them all. We just got back home and she has diareah now

Getting some dogs to vomit is very difficult to impossible. I'm glad it was the bigger one that decided to partake in them. The diarrhea now isn't that surprising as that rich "snack" can really throw off the intestinal tract. At home, you could try a bland diet of 1/3 boiled chicken and 2/3 boiled rice - 1 cup per 30 pounds three times a day as this can sometimes be enough to settle things. The quicker step would be to let the vet's office know and they might prescribe an antibiotic called metronidazole to help out.