Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

My labrador is one day after her due date. I really can't

Customer Question

Hi. My labrador bitch is one day after her due date for whelping. I really can't tell if she is pregnant or fat now! She has had one litter before and was 5 days early then, so to be a day late and still no sign of whelping makes me think she isn't in pup. Any words of advice?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. We need to be extra careful with pregnancies, so we'll need to connect you with the Veterinarian ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: No. She is ordinarily fit and healthy. Whelped fine last time with a litter of 9. Had two matings three days apart - 2 May and 4 May - so I thought she would be due 6 July. No milk being produced and no discernible pup shapes in her stomach area. Very broad back now and she is normally a very athletic, slight labrador.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 months ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** Thank you for your question. Is she or isn't she pregnant? That is the big question. Honestly, the best thing that I can recommend is a quick x-ray with your vet to see what that shows. It will confirm if she is or isn't at this time. If she isn't, then the matting wasn't successful. If she is, then they can give you a puppy count so you know exactly how many are to be born. This is important as it helps an owner to know when the delivery is done and when to start worrying if all the puppies haven't been born.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
With respect, that much is obvious. I was hoping for some indication other than a vet visit and x ray with the obvious stress to the bitch, not to mention the costs incurred.

I just always want to make sure owners know that the best thing is the x-rays. At my ER, we get calls all the time where a pregnant female has had 'X' number of puppies and the owners want to know when the delivery will be complete. Most of the time, there is no way for those owners to know unless they have had a puppy count. Sometimes the obvious for some is not so for others. AS far as indications at home for if she is pregnant, if she's not looking enlarged like she was the previous pregnancy and she's not had mammary gland development - then it would seem more towards the direction that she's not pregnant. There are times when matings have happened and no successful pregnancy is established.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I understand. Thank you for your assistance. I think I will let her go over the weekend, then see how things are on Monday, when I may take her in to the vets.

As long as she's comfortable, eating well, drinking well, and just being herself - I think that is a very good plan! The things I don't like to see with pregnancy are - pushing with active contractions for over 60 minutes with no puppies being produced and green valvular discharge. These are the red flags for me. Hopefully all goes well! One thing I would throw out there, if you're not wanting to have any more litters of puppies after this current situation, getting her spayed is always my recommendation. I see numerous older females at my ER that get pyometras and it turns into a debacle. The emergency surgery for that is pretty $$$ and owners get floored by it. Planning ahead and spaying will prevent that unwanted situation from possibly happening.