Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog was groomed last week and after they plucked the hair

Customer Question

JA: Hi. What seems to be the problem?
Customer: My dog was groomed last week and after they plucked the hair out of his ears it seems like it got infected. I just talked to my Vets office and they say it doesn't sound like its infected. But it's gross. Lol nice tried putting the RX they gave me last time which is called Otomax but his ears are so tender and swollen I can't get it in there. I was wondering if Bactrim that I have would help. I don't want to go against the Vets suggestion but I do feel it's infected.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ottoman?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.

Post-plucking infection is common and why we don't recommend doing this. The proper method is to clip the hairs very short but keep them in place. The Otomax is a good idea and should suffice. Bactrim might be helpful but rarely necessary if you can manage to get the Otomax into his ears at least once daily. The trimeth-sulfa drugs such as Bactrim are dosed at 15 mg/lb once daily for at least 5 days. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you so much. I didn't know it was ok to leave the hair in there and have always trusted the groomers to know what's best. So I appreciate your advice. If his ears are so swollen and tender that it's hard to get him to sit still to even get the Otomax in there should I try Bactrim or is there something else that would be better?

Bactrim is reasonable but an antibiotic in the cephalosporin class such as cephalexin is a better choice for skin infections. Do you have other systemic antibiotics available to you?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No I don't. And when I asked our Vet twice he kept saying antibiotics probably wouldn't help this issue but isn't it usually an infection of greenish stuff is coming out? He did say I could bring him in tomorrow but if I had something here to give him I'd prefer doing that.

The greenish stuff is pus indicating a cellular immune response to infection. Unless you can irrigate the ears and treat locally, I see no alternative to the Bactrim or having his vet attend to him.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok thanks.

You're welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Hi Kim,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?