Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My 8 year old, 100 pound lab is scratching her jowls the

Customer Question

Hi --- My 8 year old, 100 pound lab is scratching her jowls the last 3 days. Just recently he was swimming in a lake and had a new type of wet food (minimal). I can't see fleas, he is always inside. I have wiped his sores with peroxide. Is there anything I can do before I take him to a vet?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?
Customer: thank you for your advice
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: No - he is in good health. He has been snorting at night when he sleeps. He is eating and going to the bathroom okay. It is very humid where we live. His name is Rocky
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Can you help me with my concern about my dog Rocky?
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 8 months ago.

Can you upload a photo(s) of the affected skin to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see that icon) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/ I suspect that a lip fold dermatitis/pyoderma (bacterial skin infection) has arisen in his jowls perhaps after his swimming which kept his jowls wetter longer than usual. Rather than peroxide, please consider the following:

1) Cleansing wipes (i.e., alcohol-free acne pads, baby wipes, chlorhexidine-containing pledgets, other antimicrobial wipes) used every 12-72 hours work very well.

2) Alternatively, routine topical therapy can be used to control the skin problem. The affected area should be cleaned every 1-3 days as needed with an antibacterial shampoo that contains chlorhexidine, benzoyl peroxide, or ethyl lactate. These shampoos can be found over the counter in pet/feed stores, online, or at his vet hospital.

3) Topical application of an antibiotic ointment (over the counter triple antibiotic ointment, e.g.), solution, or spray every 24 hours for the first 5-7 days of therapy may be helpful. The safe prescription mupirocin ointment is available through his vet and should be considered.