PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

He is in eight-year-old German Shepherd and has a baseball

Customer Question

Hi he is in eight-year-old German Shepherd and has a baseball sized mass in his neck
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Duty
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Duty?
Customer: It doesn't seem to bother him but it has been growing slowly the last two months
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: I would take him in but I can't afford a $2000 surgery
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 4 months ago.

Hi, JACustomer. Thanks for your question.

Can you submit a photograph showing where this mass is located?

Is there just one? More that are smaller?

Any problems eating and drinking?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Just one he has no problem eating drinking

Thanks for the pictures. Is this located behind an ear off to the side of the neck?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The bump on side of neck

Thank you for the clarification.

Without some diagnostics, it will be hard to tell you exactly what this is. The good news is that this is often a fairly safe place to have a mass as far as location goes. There's little risk of involvement with major vessels or lymph nodes. Many of these turn out to be lumps of fat (lipoma) that are benign but they can grow to a pretty large size (largest I've seen in this location was the size of a medicine ball).

Surgery for this type of mass if you opt to keep it as cheap as possible should be well under the $2000 range. If you can afford to, I'd at least have it checked out and have a vet give you a quote for removal. It may not be necessary to remove it now but if it does become very large removal will be necessary.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.

Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.