PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

He's a 13 wk old spaniel. About once a day he will start

Customer Question

He's a 13 wk old king charles spaniel. About once a day he will start yelping and turning to the base of his spine, beginning of tail. It's bothering me.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the King Charles spaniel's name?
Customer: Barney
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Barney?
Customer: He doesn't have any testes yet
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) Is he currently on any flea/tick prevention?
2) Do you notice any scooting behavior on the carpet or in the back yard?
3) Any urinary or fecal incontinence?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
He's been treated for worms etc. He hasn't had diarrhoea. He did start to scoot along the carpet but I stopped that. Instead I now use wet kitchen roll to clean his bottom. He's been screeching out in pain since I got him. He wags his tail when excited but iv never seen his tail go upright.

Is he on any flea/tick prevention?

Has he had his first groom yet?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'm a qualified nurse but in.people. so when he's had the pain iv laid him on my lap to examine him. The only time he screeched was when I pressed the base of his spine. I keep up to date with flea and tick treatment. At 10 wks I groom him myself. I paid money because it said I could ask a vet the question
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No incontinence.

We have two options here, I can either opt out and request that a moderator move your question to the veterinary board and you can wait for an veterinarian to answer you. Or, I can assist you while we're working together now. Which would you prefer?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'm a pensioner with limited funds. I just want some idea if something is wrong so I can get one of my son's to drive me to PASS.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I would like to find out what's wrong with him. I know it's not fleas or worms. He runs round in circles crying when it happens. He's quite a brave dog so it's unusual.

I can appreciate that. However, I need to get a good medical history on Barney before I can help either of you. We rely entirely on being able to "see" your pet through the computer through the history that you give to us. Because of this, we often do have a lot of questions about the pet before we can give you an idea of what you're looking at medically.

Because you have Barney on flea tick prevention, we can rule out the risk of fleas. Because there is no incontinence, we can hopefully rule out a spinal issue. Which leaves us with the risk of the anal glands needing to be expressed because they're causing discomfort. If he has not been professionally groomed, they have not been professionally expressed. And he's scooted himself in the past, which tells us at one point they were bothering him.

I would approach this by calling your vet's office and requesting that they express his anal glands. This is typically an out-patient visit and does not require an exam. Alternately, you can have him groomed and request that the groomer do this.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.

Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Please tell me more about analysis glands in dogs. Iv never heard of them

The anal glands are two sacs located directly within the anal opening. They are essentially scent glands. Many breeds of dogs, primarily those that are smaller breeds of dogs, require regular expression of these glands. Without expression, they can become impacted, infected and abscessed. Cavaliers often have anal gland issues, so its possible that at 13 weeks he's already starting to show signs of needing them expressed. This is commonly performed with grooming, but if you opt to groom at home this still leaves the need for them to be done professionally.

More info here:

JACustomer, how is your companion doing? Any chance to have the glands expressed to see how he feels?