Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

Puppy drank a bit of shampoo and salt scrub in bath water,

Customer Question

JA: Hello. How can we be of help?
Customer: Puppy drank a bit of shampoo and salt scrub in bath water
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the puppy?
Customer: He's sleeping now he seems ok
JA: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the puppy. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Magie
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Maggie?
Customer: No thank you
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: Ok
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 3 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help.

Just to be clear this was already in the bath water correct?

How much does he weigh and how much do you think he ingested?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
already in bath water. It was just a small amount of bubble from the bath water and some salt scrub from the bath. He drank 3 sips of so before I could get him away. He laid down to sleep at his usual time and is sleeping now. He is 3.5 months old and a about 9 lbs.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The bubbles were In the bath water from human shampoo.
Expert:  Candy replied 3 months ago.

Ok thank you for the additional information. Salt can be toxic and shampoo is very irritating to the digestive tract. That said a few licks would not be cause for serious concern. He may have some diarrhea in the next day or two but even that may not happen.

I would not be to concerned and he should be just fine. I would try to keep him out of the bathroom when using the bath salts because if he were to eat this undiluted then that could lead to salt toxicity.

I hope this helps ease your mind. Give him a good pet from me and tell him no more licking stuff.

Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to continue.

If you have no additional questions please take a few moments to provide a rating . Rating indicates that you are finished with this session and prompts Justanswer to compensate me for assisting you today. I am not compensated for my time until you provide a rating.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
he just took a few sips of the bath water. The salt is a salt scrub. Thank you for helping me!
Expert:  Candy replied 3 months ago.

You are very welcome. I am glad I was here to help ease your mind.

Please note that while rating does suspend our conversation so I can assist other pet owners, it does not close out your question. You can come back at any time for follow up at no additional charge.

Expert:  Candy replied 3 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?