PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

I have an 11-month-old Maltese and she has her period. this

Customer Question

I have an 11-month-old Maltese and she has her period. this is my first experience. I don't want to neuter her at this moment. I've contacted my friend to scheduled a rendezvous with her Yorkie. My question to you after all of my reading about preventing depression if they don't mate or get neutered. When should I get her impregnated? Bijou will be 1-year-old on 08 /28
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Bijou
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bijou?
Customer: No! she's very healthy.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 5 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. Thanks for your question.

Dogs do not tend to express depression when not bred. In fact, they should not be bred each time that they have a heat cycle. With this in mind, I would not yet breed your girl. She is too young. If you intend to breed her, she needs to be at least 24 months before doing so. Her body is still growing and it is not fair to her to strip her of this opportunity to grow and mature by her becoming a mother at such a young age.

You can learn more about responsible breeding here: http://www.akc.org/dog-breeders/responsible-breeding/

Also, make sure that when you have bred her that you are prepared for the cost and potential for her to need a costly c-section. Not all bitches are lucky enough to produce puppies on their own and c-sections can set owners back $1500-$3000 depending on where, where and in what state the surgery is performed.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

Did you have other questions?