Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

I noticed a hard lump right in the center of her belly this

Customer Question

I noticed a hard lump right in the center of her belly this morning. I'm almost positive it wasn't there yesterday if that's possible. She is also walking slowly, head down and is doing a lot of stretching. I opened a new bag of her food yesterday...that's the only change she's had.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: she's small, 12 pounds. 8 years old. papillon/chihuahua mix
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 5 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

Can you post a picture of the lump that you are seeing?

one other question- is she spayed?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
she is spayed. you can't see anything - just feel it.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 5 months ago.

Is it under a nipple or more on the midline of the belly?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Here's a photo
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 5 months ago.

Thanks.

That black just below your finger is a nipple. If the lump is under that nipple, then it's probably a mammary tumor. These are ~ 50% benign and 50% malignant. They can start off very small and quite firm or hard. They often times feel like a hard pea under the skin.

The treatment is surgical removal and biopsy. If it's a mammary tumor, it can be cured if caught early or if benign. If it's some other type of tumor, the prognosis depends on the type and behavior. My recommendation is rapid removal and biopsy within the next 1-2 weeks if you can.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 5 months ago.

You're welcome.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
i really think it's just "popped up" over the last day or two. I've never felt it before and I rub her belly every day. is this possible?
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 5 months ago.

It's possible, but unlikely. Usually these develop over time. I suppose it could be an abdominal wall hernia, but there is usually some type of trauma that causes those.