Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

I have a 10 year old miniature schnauzer. Started yesterday

Customer Question

I have a 10 year old miniature schnauzer. Started yesterday he just kept walking around and followed me everywhere. He couldn't stay still. He's eating and drinking and peeing and pooping all ok but obviously something is bothering him. I'm thinking about maybe toothache? He'll have dentistry done tomorrow. He also had a 1-year rabies and the distemper vaccine done last week. Someone said he might be scared by the fireworks. Your thought?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No wound
JA: The Veterinarian will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Charcoal
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Charcoal?
Customer: He has some small bumps on his back and legs?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 3 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

It sounds like something is bothering him. The hard part is determine what that is. The small bumps on his back and legs make me think it's an allergic reaction to something. This can lead to facial swelling, hives and an overall itchy and irritated feeling.

To help with these signs, you can give over the counter Benadryl (Diphenhydramine). The dose in dogs is 1-2 mg per lb body weight. It can be given every 6-8 hours, as needed.

If that does not help, I would have your vet do pre-anesthetic bloodwork tomorrow to make sure it's nothing metabolic, having to do with organ function. As long as that is ok, then the dental should take care of any tooth pain. Dental x-rays will often times reveal infected tooth roots that need to be removed.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 3 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?