Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian

Gus is a 4-5 year old intact male. I've had m since he was

Customer Question

Gus is a 4-5 year old intact male. I've had him since he was 5-6 months' old. He's loved his crate from the start. This past month, he won't leave his crate - sometimes for two days in a row. He eats and drinks. He's not fearful of the "outside". Coaxing him out with treats doesn't work (usually) and when you reach into his space...he'll bite. (I understand that - it's his den.)
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is this new behavior?
Customer: Just the past month or so...
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: He did get hit by a skunk BUT that was over two months' ago. His name Gus. He's a lab/pit/something mix who doesn't like water.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Gus?
Customer: He is otherwise healthy. Nope - that's it.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 months ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** Than you for your question about Gus. When he is out of the crate, do you notice him limping or being slower to move? When he's out of the crate, does he go for walks on a leash or do any fun interactions with you / the family?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Sometimes he just bounces right out and runs "free". No limping. We play with him/hang out with him for a bit, let him lay around outside (one of his favorite activities), interact some more... nothing about his routine/our routine has changed. I've trained K9s and the only time I've seen this is when a malinois refused to go outside when it was raining...but that was totally different. (divas)
The one variable: the skunk hit. BUT he was fine after that...then one random morning - he just wouldn't come out of this crate. He used to see us and be up and ready to go play/be outside.

That is good that when he does come out, he bounced right out and runs "free". That is great that you're making the time outside of the crate as fun and interactive as possible. Making those times more enjoyable are important in helping him to realize that he can do more than just spending more time in the crate. In saying that, the crate is like you said, his den. This is where he's very comfortable and happy. Medically could there be an issue that is causing this? A good physical exam by your vet and possibly some blood work may give some hints at that area. Could hypothyroidism be at hand? If there are no medical issues, then this is a behavioral one. Could you encourage more time out of the crate by limiting his access time to it and increasing the amount of other fun activities?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
We'll step up the interaction (we've actually been doing that - he enjoys just laying around with us) and get some blood work done. Thank you for your help.

I'm hoping for the best for this guy. Give him a good ear scratching for me once he's out of his crate!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Will do ! :)

Wish I was there to do it myself!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Jeep rides are his favorite.

He looks like you can't get the window rolled down far enough for him! Just don't take it down too far that he can fall out. I've seen a few of those situations at my ER!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Oh, he's a leaper! Took a long time to get him out of his crate yesterday but once he got out: he ran, we played, he napped outside... It is unfortunate that he cannot engage in conversation. (He knows four languages. Five, if you count "dog", which happens to to be the one with which he chooses to communicate. Oh, well.)

I wish I had the language skills Gus had! I've always thought it would be awesome to be fluent in more than one. Tell him to ride safe!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?