Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My Yorker is walking in circles and kind of walking

Customer Question

My Yorker is walking in circles and kind of walking sideways. She did also let out some loud whines earlier today. She ate and drank water. I was thinking maybe fireworks out her into this anxiety state?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Sasha and age is 5.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sasha?
Customer: She was also is bring and shaking today.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

Circling and ataxia ("drunken sailor") aren't indications of anxiety but, instead, encephalopathy (brain disorder) or perhaps vestibular (balance) disorders. Her vocalization is more suggestive of brain disorder than a peripheral (involving her inner/middle ears) or idiopathic (unknown cause) vestibular disorder although central vestibular disorders involving her cerebellum or brain stem need to be considered. Because there are a number of considerations in such a patient, a thorough physical and neurologic exam will be necessary in order to clarify why Sasha is behaving in this manner. Her eating and drinking are positive prognostic signs. Please keep her as quiet as possible lest she hurt herself stumbling about and have her vet take a look at her first thing in the morning.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.