Experience:  Emergency Veterinarian at Carolina Veterinary Specialists

Our dog had puppies 10 days ago and now she is chewing her

Customer Question

our dog had puppies 10 days ago and now she is chewing her hair off on her hip and butt. She needed to be dewormed before she got pregnant but we don't know whats wrong with her. Her puppies are sucking so we don't know what o do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. We need to be extra careful with pregnancies, so we'll need to connect you with the Veterinarian ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: well she had a bruises yesterday or spot like you rubbed against something and now she is chewing her hair off in that spot and her tail and her butt where her puppies came out!
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  JACUSTOMER-2ggpt01r- replied 3 months ago.

Hi there, Those sounds like locations that dogs like to chew on when they have fleas and subsequent flea allergy dermatitis. What do you use for flea prevention? - Dr. C

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
we don't really know what to use! Can you suggest something?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
how soon can we give her de-wormer?

I would highly recommend Bravecto- it is an oral tablet that you administer every 90 days with food for flea prevention. It's also completely safe to use in lactating dogs. You can deworm her now- I'd recommend either pyrantel pamoate (strongid) once or fenbendazole (panacur) once daily for 3 days. Hope this is helpful information for you, and please let me know if you have any other questions - Dr. C