Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

Dog yelps when shaking her head, Luci 4 years old st

Customer Question

Dog yelps when shaking her head
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Luci 4 years old st bernard
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Luci?
Customer: All her checkup are good i need something for relief till get her to our vet
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 11 months ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question today. Just like an in person consult, I have some questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible....

Do you think it's her ears that are the problem?

If so, do you see any redness or do they smell bad?

How long has this been going on?

When was the last time she saw her vet?

Is she currently on any other medications?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ears are fine she had full workup about 3 mo ago i think a pinched nerv in her neck
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No other meds
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It bothers her when she raises her head or shakes. But not always shes cautious about moving
Expert:  Lisa replied 11 months ago.

Great. Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

Unfortunately, there's not a lot you can give her over the counter that's safe...the only thing is plain aspirin...we never use products that contain ibuprofen (Advil), acetaminophen (Tylenol) or naproxen sodium (Aleve) in dogs as it can be toxic even in small doses.

You could give her a regular strength (325mg) aspirin once every 8 hours or so, but the absolute best thing to do is to give your vet a call in the morning and have them take a peek at her. If it is a pinched nerve, they'll want to get her on some anti-inflammatories. Make sure that you tell them that you give aspirin to her as some medications, such as steroids, can't be used with NSAIDS.

I hope this helps.

Expert:  Lisa replied 11 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Lisa