Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

Yesterday 4th of July and the night before fire works she

Customer Question

Yesterday 4th of July and the night before fire works she was scared to death, she is a shelter dog I've had for 4 yrs. we went to bed, about 4am she woke me up and then jumped down went under the bed and won't come out, now she does go there if I leave the room but I call her and she comes right out.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is this new behavior?
Customer: Staying there is different but it's kinda like a safe place if I leave the room she's gone but comes right out.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: No not that I know of she's a sweet little dog just totally scare of fireworks I live alone it's just her the cat and me.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. John replied 3 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. Anxiety with fireworks is a very common thing with a lot of dogs. In most cases, it is hard to control without some form of medication. You can try getting her a Thundershirt. It fits snug around them and actually helps to relieve anxiety in many dogs. You can find it online or at your nearest major pet store. You can also try getting a DAP (Dog Appeasing Pheromone) collar as well to help relieve anxiety. You can find it at the same places. In many cases, though, it is necessary to have your vet prescribe some form of anti-anxiety medication to get them through the fireworks. Very common for vets to prescribe some form of anti-anxiety medication during this time of year. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.