PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

She suddenly started shaking her head like she's trying to

Customer Question

She suddenly started shaking her head like she's trying to get something out of her ear (?)
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Shelby, 16 months
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Shelby?
Customer: Not that I can think of
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 10 months ago.

Are you seeing her shaking her head? Pawing at her ear? Rubbing her face in the grass?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
She is shaking her head but not scratching her ear (so far). She was rubbing her ear on the carpet like it was itching but I haven't heard her scratching it. We HAVE been having a problem with gnats recently & her ears aren't completely covered structurally

Thanks for the additional info.

If she was rubbing, she may be having a mild allergic reaction so we can try some antihistamines at home. She can receive 1-2mg/pound of body weight orally every 8-12 hours of Benadryl.

If this helps within the first 8 hours, this is probably just related to the reaction.

However, if you find that the shaking keeps up, she may have either developed an ear infection or managed to get something into her ear canal. Dog ear canals are shaped like L's, so you can only see about 50% of them. Not seeing anything in the visible canal doesn't mean there's nothing in the ear. If the shaking persists, she needs an exam by your vet to determine the needed treatment based on the cause.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.

Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
She had Benedryl earlier tonight because of her anxiety from fireworks, etc.

How much does she weigh and how many milligrams were given? How long ago?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I would guess her weight at about 40 pounds. She had two adult (human) capsules at about 11:30 p.m.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
She has stopped shaking it now & has gone back to sleep

The capsules are likely 25mg each, and that would be 50mg she received at the last dose. If this does not help her in the 8 hours that follow dosing (and it won't be immediate, keep in mind as benadryl takes about 4 hours to be working at full effect) you'll want to give closer to the 2mg (75mg total) dosage for her the next time she's dosed. If this doesn't help in that 8 hours, she likely has something that isn't related to a reaction going on. Some dogs do take more than one dose of benadryl before they will see benefits. Try redosing at around 7am. If she's not greatly improved by the afternoon, this should confirm the need for an exam and she should be seen Wednesday. The more she shakes her head the higher the chance for aural hematomas.

Checking in. How did she do for you overnight?