Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

9 lb yorkie given 5 mg of acepromazine works got ahold of

Customer Question

9 lb yorkie given 5 mg of acepromazine for fire works got ahold of and ate the 84 lb boxer's 25 mg pill..... Do I need to induce vomiting with hydrogen peroxide?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Lisa 7 years
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lisa?
Customer: No... Perfectly healthy
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 11 months ago.

A total of 30 mg in a 9 lb dog will be highly sedative. Not life threatening but avoidable if we can induce emesis with 3% hydrogen peroxide. Two measuring teaspoons (10 mL) given with a small poultry baster placed between her cheek teeth and cheek should induce emesis within 15 minutes. If not, please repeat the same dose. Acepromazine is also an antiemetic and so inducing emesis might not be successful. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.