Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Our 14 year old lab has started to breath very quickly even

Customer Question

Our 14 year old lab has started to breath very quickly even though he has not exerted himself at all. The house is air conditioned so it is not a question of heat.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: Nothing is obvious. He seems very happy.
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: No not at all. He is in good health other than the rapid breathing.
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: He has been on Meloxyn for the past six month. His name is Bradey.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bradley?
Customer: He's drinking a lot.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.

Tachypnea (elevated respiratory rate) is worrisome. I need you to do a few things for me...

1) Check his gum and tongue color. They should be nicely pink - not whitish (anemia) or bluish/greyish (cyanosis/hypoxia/lack of oxygen to his tissues).

2) Check his respiratory rate. He should be taking less than 30 breaths/minute while asleep or at rest.

3) Take his rectal temperature. Any body thermometer will do when placed 1.5" into his rectum for 1 minute. Normal is 100.5-102.5F. This is a two person job!

Please let me know what you find.