JACUSTOMER-2ggpt01r-
JACUSTOMER-2ggpt01r-,
Experience:  Emergency Veterinarian at Carolina Veterinary Specialists
94585309

We have a Labrador mom with a mastitis ruptured teat. What

Customer Question

We have a Labrador mom with a mastitis ruptured teat. What can we do now to relieve pain and begun healing?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Bageera, age 7
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Baggier?
Customer: She is nursing six pups, one breast is engorged and has two open sores, one the size of a silver dollar and one the size of a dime.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  JACUSTOMER-2ggpt01r- replied 5 months ago.

Ah, poor Baggier. You can apply warm compresses to the affected area three times daily to help with local pain and inflammation. The puppies should not be allowed to nurse on the affected teat or the ones on either side. Not only will it hurt her, but could cause them to ingest copious amounts of bacteria. You should plan to get her to your vet first thing tomorrow to prescribe antibiotics and pain medication before the infection causes her to become septic. If she is lethargic, weak or not eating today, she needs to be seen by an ER vet today to giver her the best chance at a positive outcome. - Dr. C