Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

My dog has been having flea allergy and now she wont quit

Customer Question

Hi my name is***** dog has been having flea allergy and now she wont quit chewing on her tail near her butt area. What should i do to stop her from chewing and scratching?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** 3 years old now
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Angel?
Customer: I went to the vet already, they gave me a spray for her wound. It healed her other hotspots except for this one because she keeps on chewing it.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 3 months ago.

Hello. I am sorry to hear that Angel is having some trouble. My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help.

What flea prevention are you currently using?

Has she caused hair loss and open areas on the skin where she is chewing?

Expert:  Candy replied 3 months ago.

The site shows that you have gone offline so I am going to give you some information to review.

You want to be sure you are using a good flea prevention. If you happen to be using Frontline I would switch as we are finding that rather ineffective in controlling fleas. Dogs with flea allergies over have to have topical prevention applied every 3 weeks rather then 4.

If he has caused damage to the skin you need to use an E collar until we get this healed up. Allowing her to continue to chew will not only prevent healing but can also cause a secondary bacterial infection.

Shave the area that she is chewing so it can be properly cleaned. Clean twice daily with an antibacterial wash. You can then apply an anti itch cream like cortisone.

Oral Benadryl can also help with itching. This is dosed at 1mg per pound of body weight 2-3 times per day.

I hope this helps give you some options to try for her. Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to continue.

If you have no additional questions please take a few moments to provide a rating . Rating indicates that you are finished with this session and prompts Justanswer to compensate me for assisting you today. I am not compensated for my time until you provide a rating.